Adding Read Seed to Moodle
Adding Read Seed as an "External tool" in a course is like creating other standard activities in Moodle
Although the process of setting up LTI may sound complex, in most cases you can be up and running in minutes. You do not even need to be a site administrator to connect your course to Read Seed. To watch a short video of the process, click here.
There are three items in a set of credentials.
- the Tool URL (1 for each course)
- the Secret
- a Consumer Key
You should use the name of your school or district as your "Consumer Key." The "Tool URL" and "Secret" will be in the email that you get from Read Seed.1) "Turn Editing on" in your course (location of "Turn editing on" link will vary by theme)
2) Select "Add an activity or resource"
3) Select "External Tool" from the activity chooser popup, and press "Add"
4) Give the activity a name and set the Tool URL. A green check mark should appear beside the URL.
5) Click the "Show more" button (this will reveal more fields on the page)
6) Set the Launch Container to "New Window" (Do not choose any of the "Embed" options as you will not be able to grant Read Seed permission to access your microphone)
7) Then enter the Consumer key (your district or school name) and Secret
8) If you want to add a Read Seed icon to help your students find the right activity, cut and paste this URL https://app.readseed.org/pix/readseed.png into the ‘Icon URL’ field in the settings area of the external tool. (Note: if you choose to skip this step the program will still work).
9) Finally, click "Save and return to course"
10) Click on the newly created activity (a window will open displaying your Read Seed dashboard)